Saturday, July 5, 2008


We had a special treat for the Fourth of July this year. A generous man who works with my husband is president of the Des Moines Symphony. He invited us to attend a special viewing of the Des Moines Symphony's Yankee Doodle Pops concert on July 3.
The concert is held annually in front of the Iowa State Capitol. More than 100,000 people typically attend the concert and fireworks, bringing picnic suppers and spreading out on the lawn. Our invite, however, allowed us to watch the proceedings from atop the Historical Building while enjoying a casual catered meal.
It took quite an effort on my part to quell my social anxiety and force myself to attend. It helped that the invitation was extended to my entire family. Maybe it's a "safety in numbers" sort of feeling for me, but if the kids couldn't have gone I doubt I would have accepted the invitation.
It was a lovely evening and once I was there I went into "social" mode, smiling and conversing like a natural. Fortunately, my anxiety in these types of situations doesn't show.
I did have a good time and even got to introduce my youngest to former Iowa governor Tom Vilsack and his wife Christie. They are such nice, normal people and expressed seemingly genuine interest in my daughter.
Later in the evening I convinced Sarah to ask for broadway star Craig Schulman's autograph. Maybe it's my training as a journalist, but "important people," whether they be famous singers, politicians or sports stars, are just people. Schulman was more than gracious and we enjoyed his selections from Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables and Man of La Mancha.


I must admit, however, that the highlight of the evening was listening to Iowa's own opera star Simon Estes sing "Old Man River" and "You'll Never Walk Alone."

Estes made his special guest appearance to help raise money for Iowa flood victims and also for the residents of tornado-devastated Parkersburg.
It was a fun evening and I'm glad I went.

3 comments:

Heather's Moving Castle said...

What an awesome time you had! I have a hard time picturing you as a person who would be shy of being around people you don't know. But I know several people like that. You are one of the funniest and nicest people I know.

Karen said...

Thank you so much, Heather!
When do you leave for Maine?

Anonymous said...

I know that type of situation would be very uncomfortable for me. It sounds like it was terrrific performance and worth the anxiety.
reersa