Friday, July 11, 2008

Space Cadets


Image courtesy of AstronomyOnline.org

About 12 years ago I scrimped and saved to buy Michael a telescope, thinking he'd be able to teach the boys all about astronomy. Since then, the telescope has sat mostly unused in the basement or attic. The few times we've thought of using it over the years to view some magnificent, once-in-a-lifetime astronomical event or other, it's either cloudy outside or we've had too much light pollution, etc.
I do remember the first time I saw Saturn via the telescope. It was, well, rather disappointing. I don't know what I had expected, but it was all in black and white, tiny and far away. Yeah, I know, duh.
Melissa and I lately have done a little reading about Galileo in an attempt to finally get out of the Renaissance and move on to colonial America. We've read parts of Galileo for Kids, and done a few of the experiments, watched a Nova documentary on Galileo and Melissa is listening to a tape by Jim Weiss, "Galileo and the Star Gazers."
So, yesterday I stumbled across the information that Jupiter was going to be at its brightest this week, or something to that effect. Michael was home, the telescope was available, the sky was clear and it was dark enough in our neighborhood for viewing - talk about the stars lining up!
Anyway, at about midnight, Michael and the girls located Jupiter and 3 of its Galilean moons. They could even see some of the planet's "stripes!"
The telescope is now sitting in the entryway; maybe we'll be able to do some more star-gazing this year.

4 comments:

Heather's Moving Castle said...

How awesome! I love the idea of learning more about astronomy. Your story gives me hope and inspiration. :)

zamozo said...

Rick and I were gazing up at Jupiter last night too!

You might really enjoy the book, "Galileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith, and Love" by Dava Sobel

I read it about six years ago and loved it!

Karen said...

I read that book, too. The DVD we watched was based on her book. I love historical fiction!

Anonymous said...

Never could bring myself to buy a telescope. I always thought it would just frustrate me. I expect more like you. I love what I can see with my undressed eye. What I really like to do is go to a place really dark...in-laws ranch....and look at all the stars with minimal light pollution.
fulasta