Saturday, July 26, 2008

A Lifetime of Love


It's been 23 years tomorrow since I married the man of my dreams.

He has stood by me through deepest, darkest depression, the mental illness diagnoses of 3 of our 4 children, and a myriad of pets, including lizards, rabbits, mice, hermit crabs, snails, rats, cats, dogs, fish and soon, backyard chickens.

He has withstood an unfair amount of bitterness over his work commitments and travel on my part, especially when the kids were young. (I'm better about it now.)

His commitment as a father has been unwavering. I'll always remember the goofy songs he sang to the kids at bathtime when they were little and his sheer delight at being a father.

He's always willing (after an initial "no") to remodel another house, paint another room, plant another garden (or two, or three) or even make dinner at the drop of a hat. Believe me, you haven't lived until you've had Michael's nachos.

I met him by chance, married him for love, and cannot imagine my life without him. If ever a person had a soulmate, Michael is mine.

We typically don't celebrate our anniversaries, so no big parties or fancy dinners out. In fact, we were out buying wine today and he asked if we should splurge on a fancy bottle for tomorrow night. Naw, I replied, that just makes the next night's wine disappointing.

So instead of fancy wine or diamonds or exotic vacations, I have the supreme honor of spending a quiet evening at home with my love.

I couldn't be happier.

2 comments:

Heather's Moving Castle said...

Happy Anniversary to you! I love happy endings!!! Enjoy your time together.... :)

Anonymous said...

Now I thought it was so much by chance, but because of your terrific stalking abilities. Oh, guess it was by chance he walked in front of your line of vision and then you started stalking
Happy Anniversary...really late
This year it will be 2o for us...speaking a little head of schedule...in 2009 it will be 20 years.
fliums