Friday, July 25, 2008

Food of the Gods


Pesto, for my family, is as much a part of our everyday culinary life as hamburgers are to most Americans. There is something unbelievably sumptuous about the mixture of basil, garlic, olive oil and parmesan cheese that belies its simple, country origins..

Pesto may be one of the oldest sauces in the world and gets its name from the traditional use of a mortar and pestle to combine the ingredients.

Once you've tried pesto, you'll understand why I fret every year about whether I'll have enough basil to make enough to last the winter!


My favorite pesto recipe is from The Joy of Pasta.

Makes enough for 1 pound of pasta.

2 cloves garlic
1 tsp. salt
2 cups tightly packed basil leaves
2 T finely chopped pinenuts (can substitute walnuts)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (please buy a hunk of the real stuff - you won't regret it)
2 T freshly grated romano cheese (I often just substitute Parmesan)
4 T butter, softened

In food processor, combine garlic, salt, basil, nuts and olive oil and process until smooth.
Add cheeses and butter and process briefly, just to incorporate the cheeses.

Add sauce to drained pasta and serve with additional Parmesan cheese.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're the one that got me hook on pesto. I love the stuff. Just wish the kids did.
synincto