Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Confronting Reality

This past weekend my anxiety level went through the roof. We checked out the cost of installing a new, high-efficiency wood-burning fireplace insert and were floored by the $4,500 price tag. Then we returned home to two totally unexpected bills from the boys' therapists office totalling almost $1,000! I can't figure out why they weren't billing us monthly instead of sending such a huge bill.
My youngest just had 6 teeth pulled ($500) in preparation for braces ($4,800).
We had just cancelled an additional life insurance policy dh had through work, planning to apply the extra $260/month to our debt. I didn't realize, however, that the basic policy dh has at work is only 2X his salary. With our debt level, two kids still at home and two to help in college, that amount isn't adequate.
DH left yesterday for a week of travel. He promised not to die before we can add more life insurance.
So, my weekend was spent staving off hyperventilating and implementing a new debt-repayment plan a la Dave Ramsey.
If we can follow the plan, we should be completely debt free, except for the mortgage, in 24 months. I'm excited and scared at the same time. There's nothing like confronting your money situation in black and white and realizing that, while you could go on the way you were, it's not financially smart to do so.
So, it's time to tighten the belt and get serious about those credit cards.
The word "budget" will now dominate our every day life.
And, hopefully, in 24 months, we'll be completely debt free.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Wow! Tough situation. But it will be so worth it to get out from under the debt. Think how free you'll feel! It'll be hard work, but you can do it.

Karen said...

Thanks, Debbie.
Can't wait for that freedom...

Anonymous said...

Hope you get no new surprises. I'm living in the future, so I know you have the wood stove. Maybe it will pay itself back...$10 wood next year. I think I need to go take care of getting mine in. Then Michael can have someone to go with him. I really think I might be the better choice...My years of working in the forestry dept...but Herb has the braun.
tulin