Thursday, July 24, 2008

Jammin' in the kitchen...

We actually belong to three CSA's this year, all under the umbrella group Farm to Folk. Tuesday is our pick-up day for our Picket Fence Creamery order and our share from The Berry Patch . What I really love about Farm to Folk is the ability to order produce from its various producers, based on what they have available each week. I've been ordering raspberries galore from The Berry Patch and mostly freezing the extras.
But this week, I decided to make raspberry jam. I had forgotten how easy it is to make jam. I always use Sure Jell Light. I think the lesser amount of sugar allows the flavor of the fruit to shine through.




I had enough berries for one complete batch of raspberry jam that yielded 6 jars. I was making the second batch when I realized I was shy about a cup and a half of berries. I had fresh, local blueberries in the fridge, so I crushed up blueberries to make up the difference.

We think the Blue Raspberry Jam is even better than the regular.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I have frozen berries from this summer that I need to make into jelly or pies. I sure hope we get a ton of blackberries this year. Last year was not so good.
promb