Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Without Him

Footprints in my bathtub
Toothpaste in the sink
Pawprints on the kitchen floor
What am I to think?

Dirty dishes stacking high
Laundry pile flows
Ashes scattered on the hearth
Is this how it goes?

Beds unmade, dogs unfed
The porch? It isn't swept
The children? Eating junk food
My hair? It is unkempt.

Rugs with bits of dog bones covered
The upstairs hall? A mess
Table surfaces full of mail
Whose fault? I must confess...

My darling, dearest took a plane
Away to Chile he flew
Gone for two weeks in the sun
Earning money, it's true

But me? I have an injured foot
My daugher, she is sick
The puppy's crazy, the dog threw up
This life I wouldn't pick

Youngest daughter soldiers on
The eggs, she counted four
The chicken water must be changed
Who'll head on out the door?

This isn't the first time he's been gone
You'd think it would be old hat
But without exercise, due to foot
I'm afraid I'm getting fat

Five days down, 10 more to go
The girls and I'll survive
All we have to do, he said,
Is keep ourselves alive

My foot will mend
Her sore throat heal
The dogs will wag and slobber
I love my darling, I tell myself
As down the steps I hobble

I must work hard not to hold a grudge,
The mantra in my head
I beg the girls, just a litle nap?
A mere hour in my bed?

The boys have called, they love me so
The girls and I are fine
My primary coping skill, I find
Is lots and lots of wine

We'll make it through, our love intact
Our house? A different matter
A funny thing, these times apart,
Our love they do not shatter

We're building memories
Forging bonds
Loving ever after
But when he calls, I must admit,
I don't feel much like chatter

Time apart, it strengthens hearts
The old adage simply states
That sage, I'll wager, was a mom
At home without her mate

Despite it all, we excitedly wait
Anxious for his return
Someday, I think, it would be nice
For him to take a turn...

He's working hard, and so are we
A continent apart
And though it's tough, for all of us
He's always in my heart

We await his return with open arms,
Oh my, we love him so
We'll hold him tight, kiss him lots
Until next time he has to go

4 comments:

Claire MW said...

Oh wow! You ARE creative! I think you should have a part time career in poetry!

The goats came from JH...as did the cattle panels that contain them. I have worked with him on a lot of patents because I support the group he used to belong to, but he changed roles a few months ago.

Karen said...

That's what I was thinking. Hope all is going well for him.
So, what made you decide to be a farmer?

Claire MW said...

Things for him continue to be very rocky and difficult. Not sure where it is all going to end up.

I originally intended to get 3 chickens. Yup, 3. I got two, and decided I really liked them. Then in talking to JH after a meeting, he mentioned he was probably going to have to butcher his flock of chickens because of moving to CO. I said we'd go look at them and take a couple. We ended up with 21 birds, and 7 goats. Kelly fell in love with the goats and he could not stand the thought of them going to the sale barn. JH was equally worried about that result. So, we kind of went from there, and realized we really liked what we were doing, and the pleasant changes it was bringing about in our lives. Less stress, more joy. And the rest is history!

BTW, you can write at patentgarden (at) gmail (dot) com if you like!

zamozo said...

I've given you an award. Check it out on my blog!
,http://zamunzo.blogspot.com/>