Sunday, February 1, 2009

Cooking for Company



I don't usually buy my ground beef at the grocery store. I have never bought Minute Rice for my family or friends, either.


And wieners?
Um, no, not unless you count the locally produced bison dogs we had last fall.
What could possibly account for such a lapse in culinary judgement?
What, you may wonder, got into me?
Well, it's not so much what got into me as what was coming out of this guy...


Poor Gil.
He's sick as a... dog.
We took him to his vet on Saturday when he added vomiting to his symptom. She gave him a shot and meds to stop the diarrhea and drew blood to check for any underlying problems.
I cooked him up a doctor-ordered special diet of hamburger and white rice.
And it's true what the say... a mouth full of wiener does help the medicine go down

We thought he was on the mend.
Until last night.
He wouldn't take his last dose of medicine, not even with its wiener coating.
And he awoke throughout the night with more diarrhea.
When he refused to eat this morning, we knew he had to go back to the vet.
The news isn't good.
Gil's blood test indicated pancreatitis.
I called his mommy on vacation, she's in contact with the veterinarian, and Michael has Gil at the vets for follow-up care as I write this.
I feel so bad for the poor little guy. He acts like he doesn't feel good and probably is in some pain as well.
Hopefully this will be a one-time short episode and will be under control in a day or two.
In the meantime, Aunt Karen will be here to love him and care for him.
The girls will give him extra cuddles.
And Michael, thank god, will continue to take the night shift.

2 comments:

Claire MW said...

Poor Gil, and poor you having to cope with making decisions on someone else's dog's health. I can imagine that must be kind of scary. I remember when I took care of my parents' dog on vacation, she had kidney failure (she was 14) and even though I knew the decision had to be made, it was tough because it was my parents dog, not mine. I hope Gil comes out none the worse for wear. Hugs and scritches to him.

P.S. Where did you score the local bison dogs? I'd love to try those this summer!

Karen said...

Thankfully, Gil is doing better. He's getting shots, special food, and close monitoring. Boy, am I pooped, though!
Ah, the bison dogs.
I bought them at Picket Fence Creamery in Woodward. They carry a lot of local meat products, including their own beef.
The dogs were really good, not nearly as greasy as I remember typical hot dogs being. Great with sauerkraut and mustard!