Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Dark Days Eat Local - Week 12


I seem to be cooking on the fly lately, not coming up with a dinner plan until the 11th hour. This is when I become especially grateful for my freezer. I found a package of leftover ratatouille from this fall. Just enough to make a ratatouille quiche!


Ratatouille, a French vegetable stew, is one of my favorites. The batch I made last fall was chock full of local and homegrown veggies, including eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, and onions. Combine it with a few spices and some local gouda cheese and our own eggs and it makes an incredibly delicious crustless quiche.



Local green beans, frozen at their peak of freshness, served with a little butter and salt



Home made bread...

And applesauce streusel quick bread for dessert, made with home canned applesauce and local (purchased from a Missouri farmer on our way home last fall) pecans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ratatouille is one of my fav dishes, not just because it is quick, but also at how versatile it is :-) Local pecans in bread, yum.
P.S. I almost *never* have a dinner plan, lol!