Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Of Warm Weather and Mud


Our "mini-Spring" here in Iowa seems to have come to an end.
I've never been so relieved.
What?
Me?
Who's cold from October to April?
Who still wears socks in June?
Glad the 60 degree weather is gone?
Yup.
You see, a funny thing happens when temps warm and the snow melts.
Mud.
Lots and lots of mud.
In fact, a yard full of mud.
And these days, a yard full of mud = a house full of muddy dogs.
One dog, in particular.
Of course, it's my little primrose.
While the older dogs love to go outside and play, their shorter coats and smaller feet seem to collect less mud.
Of course, Ivy doesn't just run while outside. Every outdoor experience involves rolling, sliding, digging and skidding through the yard.

Clean-up sessions might last up to 30 minutes, and involved a bucket of warm water, multiple towels, and immeasurable patience.

From all involved.

So while today's temps in the 30s have me throwing an extra log on the fire, it is with huge relief. I'll make hot chocolate and wear an extra sweater while I bask in winter's return.

And I'll try not to think about spring...

4 comments:

Claire MW said...

Oh dear me! I have a greyhound who is prone to muddy paws, but he only stays out for about 5 minutes, so he doesn't get nearly as muddy. The worst is the foot-in-poo problem, and the carpet cleaning thereafter.

Karen said...

We've managed to keep the poo picked up well-enough not to have that problem, thank goodness! Though we still seem to be doing lots of carpet cleaning anyway!

Heather's Moving Castle said...

WoW! I am glad we have hardwood on the main floor now and I won't complain about muddy paws. I am thankful for all the frozen ground we've had up until now. Our yard is a mess. I have a feeling it will be back and forth between snow and mud for a bit longer.

~Heather ;o)

Anonymous said...

Oh no! That sounds like quite the clean-up job, especially at the end of the day. It seems that I've been cleaning my entry floor every day just due to my own shoes coming in, with the dogs, oof. I had to laugh at the post though, as you sound so much like me - always cold from October to April and buried in socks almost the whole year through. :-)