Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Chocolate Therapy Redux, The Recipe

I have a bad habit.
Well, I'm sure I have more than one, but this is the one I'm willing to admit.
It drives my family crazy, but doesn't seem to bother me enough to change it.
You see, I tend to modify almost every recipe I try. This is especially true of baked goods.
So, what's the big deal?
Well, I don't write down my modifications.
This wouldn't be a problem if I was able to remember the changes I make, but alas, it just isn't so. When there's a less than spectacular result, it doesn't really matter. But when it's great, it may end up being a one-hit wonder, never grace our dessert plates again.
With this caveat in mind, I've decided to try to remember the changes I made in the recipe for Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake with Chocolate/Ginger Crumbles. If you try it and it turns out great, thank you.

If it's icky, please accept my apologies.

1 cup white flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (I may have switched these two around)
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sour milk (add a couple tablespoons lemon juice or cider vinegar to milk to sour)
about 1 can or two-ish cups pureed squash
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1 T vanilla
1 3.5 oz bar Green&Blacks bittersweet dark chocolate with crystallized ginger pieces, finely chopped.
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 12-cup Bundt pan.
Mix flours, white sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt in small bowl.
Blend together the sour milk, squash puree and brown sugar on low speed with mixer. Stir in the oil, honey and vanilla. Gradually add the dry ingredients, stirring until just mixed. Stir in bittersweet chocolate crumbles.
Bake 60-80 minutes, until cake tests done.
Cool at least 15 minutes before removing from pan.
When cake is completely cool, frost with a simple powdered sugar icing, about 1 cup powdered sugar, a dash of vanilla, pinch of salt, 3 T of cocoa powder and enough milk to reach desired consistency.
Drizzle over cake.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Claire MW said...

FINALLY!!!!

Thank you! I was on the verge of passing out from pure cake lust.

Based on the ingredients, I am absolutely positive it will not be icky. Oh, this looks so very good.

Thank you again for the recipe!!