Monday, February 2, 2009

Dark Days Eat Local Challenge - Week 11


I've been working my way through the freezer, trying to use up my stores of meat and veggies. We don't eat much meat, so this locally-raised smoked ham has been in my freezer for longer than the recommended 6 months.
Fortunately, a coating of brown sugar glaze and a short time in the oven and it turned out great.


Twice baked potatoes always seem the perfect accompaniment to ham, and these were local spuds as well. Some of the dairy ingredients were local, some weren't. Oh, but the paprika on top is straight from Hungary. My dh brought home a package for me from a business trip last year, so I think I'm counting it as local!
It's a lot of trouble to restuff the baked potatoes, so I always just leave the skins on. I cut up the potatoes skins and all, then mash them with the butter, milk, sour cream, and salt.


I think I'm on a scone kick.
These are orange-currant scones, with local flour, butter and currants.
Admittedly, the grated orange rind came from afar, but my son was home from college and these are his favorites.


These local strawberries from my freezer and home-canned peaches (from Missouri) were a perfect accompaniment to the scones for dessert.
Oh, yeah.
I haven't made that borscht yet...

3 comments:

juliecache said...

Karen, I always think of you when I get out my frozen fruits and veggies. Your posts are very inspiring. I can't wait to take my cooking to the next level as 2009's harvest comes in.

Anonymous said...

The strawberries.... ohhhhh. I am aching here with food envy. I didn't have my act together to store summer fruit, so although I am blessed with lots of veg, the fruit has been stored apples and cranberries, along with a bit of pears. Strawberries look like a dream!
Twice baked potatoes - those are the jacket potatoes cooked once, scooped, and cooked again, right? I leave the skins on jacket potatoes too, can't imagine them without it.

Karen said...

Julia, you make me blush! Thank you!

I'm just the opposite - only froze corn and green beans (squash, peppers), but have lots of fruit - apples, strawberries, peaches, blueberries, etc.
I've really been craving peas, broccoli and cauliflower lately!