Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Question of Presidential Taste


Dear President Obama,

My family and I are quite disappointed in you.
No, this isn't about the stimulus (we're glad it passed), and while we're certainly disappointed in the tax foibles of several of your nominees, we regard that less a problem with your judgment than with their honesty.
No, Mr. President, my concern hits much closer to home than even a tax credit. You see, we heard that your staffers introduced you to a cookie made here in Des Moines and that you and your wife and children "love" them.
Apparently, your staff brought you and your family "Baby Boomer Chocolate Chunk" cookies during the campaign. Word is that you loved them so much that your staff even had them shipped to you and yours even when you weren't in Iowa.
Recognizing this as high praise for a cookie, I jumped at the chance to buy a package of "Baby Boomer Chocolate Chunk Cookies" when I saw them in a local grocery store. In fact, I bought three packages of the cookies, each containing two, so my whole family could try them.

Now, I consider myself a proud and loyal Iowan and I certainly wouldn't want to harm anyone's business, let alone a small bakery in the newly resurging are of downtown Des Moines known as East Village. But this is an issue on which I cannot remain silent.
Therefore, I say this with the utmost respect for you and Michelle, Mr. President, but you've got to be kidding.
The cookies were tasteless, bland, and, dare I say, non-descript. And though the chocolate chunks were large and plentiful, the cookie itself was, to put it bluntly, flavorless. Even my children, ages 11-20, asked if they had to finish their cookies.
I realize you have many pressing concerns on your agenda, Mr. President, but I would think that having a rather blah cookie known as the "Obama" cookie would rank relatively high on your list.

I can only imagine that if you and your family truly love these cookies, you must never have had a homemade, fresh-from-the-oven-delicious, chocolate chip cookie.
I find it particularly sad that Sasha and Malia seem unaquainted with the delights of home baked goodness.
Now, I know you and Michelle likely don't have much time to spend in the kitchen these days, but I'm hopeful you will take the time to ask your mother-in-law to pull out the mixer and oven mitts in the White House kitchen and bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies for those little girls.
I believe that once you've tried a freshly-baked cookie, you'll realize the error of your ways. And once you do, a simple "I screwed up," is all I ask.

Sincerely,

The Lauers

P.S. I've included here a recipe for a whole grain chocolate chip cookie my family loves.




Obama-worthy Chocolate Chp Cookies (adapted from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking)

3/4 cup butter

1 cup paccked brown sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon espresso powder

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/3 cup honey

1 Tablespoon cider vinegar

2 large eggs

2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour

3 cups bittersweet chocolate chips

Melt the butter and stir in sugar. Heat until mixture begins to bubble. Remove from heat and transfer to medium bowl to cool.

Sir in vanilla, salt, baking soda, espresso powder, baking powder, honey and vinegar. Add eggs, beating well after each addition, then flour, stirring to combine. Mix in chips. Refrigerate dough several hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 375. Place dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake the cookies until just beginning to brown around edges, about 12 minutes. Remove from oven and cool cookies on pan, about 5 minutes.

3 comments:

juliecache said...

Great new background, and nice letter.

Karen said...

Thanks, Julia.
I like the background, too, but I can't get the page elements back on the side where I want them to be. I click and drag but they won't stay there...

Any ideas?

juliecache said...

Yeah, don't ask me. I haven't even ventured from the standard blogger background!