Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Pumpkin Corn Bread



I wish I could take credit for the recipe I use to make Pumpkin Corn Bread.
But since I can't accept the kudos, I can at least share the recipe.
I only make this bread a few times each year, and each time I wonder why I don't bake it more often. It's a great accompaniment to soups and is wonderful for breakfast with a drizzle of honey.
I always feel so healthful when eating a slice!

Pumpkin Corn Bread
by Anna Thomas

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
5 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice (I substitute nutmeg)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup yellow corn meal
1/2 cup soft butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
3 T lemon juice
1 1/2 cups cooked pumpkin puree
1 cup milk

Sift together dry ingredients, stir in corn meal.
Cream butter. Beat in sugar and continue beating until fluffy. Add eggs and lemon juice and beat again until smooth. Finally, mix in pumpkin.
Continue to beat as you alternately add dry ingredients and the milk, until all is combined.

Place batter in two medium size, greased loaf pans.
Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Let loaves cool in pans for 5 minutes before removing.
Allow to cool thoroughly on racks before slicing.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Since you mentioned the bread, I was hoping you would post the recipe! And sounds so easy too. Right balance of sweet and tang... its on my list this weekend for baking.