Thursday, January 15, 2009

Poverty Self-Pity Party Post



As I write this, the ice on my glasses is still thawing, the dogs are galavanting like hippos in heat, and my family room couches stink.
School was cancelled today because of dangerous wind chills, but a puppy whose genes have equipped her to dig through avalanches in the Alps, still wants to go outside to chew sticks. Yep, she likes to lie in the snow and have a good chew. Meanwhile, I'm standing as close to the house as possible, hoping some meager heat might reflect off the white siding and keep frostbite at bay.
Lately, upon arising at the ungodly hour of 6:30 a.m., I've been dressing like Heidi.
No, my hair isn't long enough for braids, and even if it were, I'd need to wear it down to cover my ears.
First, I pull on a pair of sweat pants over my pajama pants, carefully tucking the pajamas into a second pair of socks. On top of my long-sleeved pj top goes a flannel shirt, buttoned, and a fleece-lined sweat jacket. On top of all this goes my bathrobe.
This way, when Ivy needs to go out, I pull my winter jacket on over everything, my boots, gloves, scarf, hat topped w/sweat jacket hood, and I'm ready to face the morning.
Yeah, right.
Okay, okay, I know the idea for the puppy was mine, but this is bordering on insanity.
Oh, maybe that was Michael's point???

Anyway, on to more pity and poverty, someone slammed into the car my oldest son drives while it was parked in front of our house. It's old, really old, but works great. But because it's so old we don't carry comprehensive insurance.
And of course it was a hit and run.
Sooo, the repair to the body (front bumper, headlight assembly, etc.) will be close to $1,000.
Gulp.
Since Stephen is leaving for South Africa in 10 days, we'll be able to put off repairs for a couple of months.
Pitiable?
You bet.

Crisis number 2?
The van is dead.
Yes, our 140,000-some mile, 10-year-old van has kicked the bucket.
Of course, we put about $1,500 into it last spring, but the repairs it needs now would far exceed any value it has left.
So, we're down to two vehicles, the car Zachary drives but decided not to take to college and the Prius we still owe $11,000 on.
We figure we can make it for sure until summer, when we might have to figure out how to purchase another van.
Sigh.
Piteous.

Oh, did I mention Michael's company announced there are to be no raises this year?
We wanted to refinance our mortgage, combining first and second mortgages into one 12-year loan. It's unlikely, however, because we probably owe more on the house than it's worth. And I'm not living in a swanky neighborhood, either. We knew when we downsized to this house that we would put more into it than we'd ever get out, but still.
Sigh.
Pitiful.

The antique trunks we use for coffee tables in the family and living rooms have had to be carried to the basement. Puppy claws were marking up the sides and suddenly there didn't seem to be enough room in the house with both the trunks and the dogs.
I have two cloth love seats in the family room that are covered w/denim slipcovers. These are the love seats that Wally is allowed to sleep on. He has taken this permission a step or two further over the years and has thrown up on them numerous times, the contents of which have varied from molasses-smelling glucosamine chondroitin for his arthritis (he ate half a one pound container), hay and rabbit poop (a delightful combination), two boxes of chocolate covered cherries (mmm, mmm, good) and an entire box of Raisin Bran (gotta love that fiber).
We have a rug/upholstery cleaner and have used it over and over again on these love seats. We've removed the cushion covers and laundered them, washed the cushions themselves, covered them with baking soda, sprayed them with Febreze, and pretty much scrubbed them inside and out more times than the manufacturer certainly ever imagined possible.
The scotch guard protective coating? Long gone.
I'm sorry to report they are now beyond redemption, the odors of the past couple of years so permeating their fibers that there is no rescue. Mind you, I've had these two love seats for about 15 years.
The only choice is replacement, but not with upholstery.
Oh no, I've learned my lesson.
It's got to be leather, which though it can scratch, won't absorb odors.
Just plain pathetic.

Where will all the cold, hard cash come from for these many purchases?
Good question.

I didn't even mention the surgery Wally needs later this spring - $500-$700, Ivy's spaying - $700 or more, Melissa's braces - $1200 down and $152/month for two years, Zachary's tuition, let alone my ever increasing wine bill.

Hmm, maybe with my degree in journalism I could get a paper route...

1 comment:

Heather's Moving Castle said...

Gee, your life makes me feel somewhat better about the fact that I can't bake. But your house and stinky pee furniture is still WAY cooler than mine. LOL. I'm sorry about all the car troubles. And winter does make it crazier than normal for all. We are still down to one car here and I am feeling the pain this morning.

Good luck on all and hugs!