Thursday, January 8, 2009

Arkansas Travelers


We visited my mom in Arkansas for a few days last week. She's recuperating incredibly fast from her surgery last fall and hopes to be ready for surgery to reverse the colostomy late this spring.
I hope to look as great as my mom does when I'm 79.
It was so warm that Stephen took the girls exploring in a gorge-like area at the edge of my mom's neighborhood.


=He is such a great big brother. It was really special that he spent so much time with the girls since he'll be leaving for a semester in South Africa in just a couple of weeks.



In all the time we've spent in Arkansas over the years, I just can't get over how different the soil is from here in Iowa.


There was a creek running through the gorge. (Okay, gorge isn't quite the right word. In my mind, "gorge" conjures up a huge gouge in the earth. This was really just a "gorge-let." I could probably find a more appropriate word, but I'm feeling too lazy to go to Thesaurus.com)


They found lots of fantastic fossils, including shells and even plants. It reminded us of all years gone by at the creek on my parents property. The kids spent nearly every minute of every vacation at or in the creek, building dams, hunting for fossils, having a great time. Thinking of the creek always makes me miss my dad...

We haven't had a family picture taken for more than a year. I'm glad to have this one.


Going away for a few days always makes me feel energized and renewed. Unfortunately, it didn't last long this time, as we've had intestinal bugs, a puppy that won't eat, too many hairballs to count and a cat that's so upset about the puppy she's pooping outside the box.
Sigh.
Home sweet home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your mom looks like she is doing really well, so glad to read that. Your pictures seem like you are all really enjoying the time together. And the gorge is lovely. Wish I had the chance to explore something like that as your kids did.