Friday, January 9, 2009

A Letter to my Nephew

Dear Mark,

I just heard the news about your decision to join the Marines.
Wow. I don't know what to say.
When I first got the email, I thought it was a joke.
Then I realized it was real and that I needed to write to you.

First, I'd like to say congratulations on making such a momentous decision. You are exactly the kind of person I would choose to defend our country. You are intelligent and caring, something I think our military definitely needs more of.
I'm having a little trouble dealing with my fears for your safety, but I guess the only way to do so is one step at a time. I will always be there for your mom, dad and brother, no matter what. And of course, I want you to know that we all support your decision, as we would any decision you made for your life, because we love you. You can always count on us for anything, any time.
I want you to know how brave I think you are, not only for your willingness to handle weapons and fight for your country, but also, and perhaps mostly, for your bravery in the face of all those sit-ups and push-ups. And believe me, having failed to complete the obstacle course in 10th grade P.E., I admire your courage in facing of the rope course and wooden log barriers.
Now, a few words of advice. In preparation for boot camp, I suggest you watch a few seasons of Gomer Pyle, USMC, to help acclimate yourself to your new reality. If Gomer could make it, anyone can!
Let's see, drink lots of water, follow orders, make your bed (yikes!), keep your feet dry, and watch where you point your gun.
But most of all, Mark, please stay safe. I don't know what we'd do without you.
Know that you will be in our thoughts always.
And be sure to write to your mother.

Love,
Aunt Karen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sending strength to you and the rest of Mark's family. And nothing but good thoughts to Mark for this new stage in life.