Sunday, August 24, 2008

One Local Summer Week 12

Wow, it's hard to believe this is the last week of OLS. It really hasn't been difficult to create 12 local meals and, in truth, most of our meals have been largely local the entire summer. I hope there will be another challenge to take us through the fall and winter!

This week's meal included tomatoes straight from the garden, kale pie and homemade squash buns topped with homemade jam.

The kale pie was sort of like a quiche, made by sauteing onion, then adding the prepared kale and garlic. This was added to a mixture of eggs, sour cream, salt and pepper. The pie was topped with a mixture of fresh bread crumbs and parmesan. All major ingredients in the dish were local - and it was fabulous!

The squash buns represent the first time I've ever radically adjusted a bread recipe. I couldn't find my favorite squash bun recipe, so I took one from the internet and modified it; fortunately, the buns turned out great! The flours and squash were both local.


Dessert was homemade vanilla pudding, made using local milk, eggs and butter, topped with fresh local raspberries. Divine.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Karen,
I have been enjoying reading your blog this morning. Alyce and I think that Ivy was so cute, and love the pics of the cats, and the state fair pics of the family.
Your OLS intries intrigue me; I now want to find out more. A possible goal for me next year, when I have a garden again. Reading all about your food, along with the pics, has made me hungry. Glad to hear that you have had good luck with your crock pot!
I am envious of your garden successes!
enjoy,
ann

Karen said...

Ooh, Ann, I'm so glad you've been here? What's with the "amber said..?"
This year I joined two different CSA's - Farm to Folk, where I can get my milk (Picket Fence) and fruit shares (The Berry Patch) - I also can purchase a la carte items each week, which is basically extra produce the farmers have or meats from various producers and also flours, etc., from Paul's Grains. I still have my veggie share from Small Potatoes Farm and my garden. With all of that and frequenting farmer's markets, when necessary, I've been able to source almost all the local products I need.

Anonymous said...

Kale pie doesn't sound good, but I bet it is like some of the spinach things I like a lot...a few added mushroom and chipotle pepper would be good. I cooked some beets yesterday, I cooked just the stems lightly boiled in water a little canola oil and chipotle pepper. Couldn't stop eating them. I was cooking down the leaves for a spinach type mixture, but got busy and burnt that. They would have been good. I've had that before. I like being able to use the whole beet plant.
vizaten