Thursday, August 28, 2008

Autumn is Falling


It's just the end of August, but already signs of fall abound. This has to have been one of the coolest summers on record for central Iowa, with only about 10 days of truly hot, humid, miserable weather.


Last weekend we took the window air conditioners out. We hadn't used them in weeks and I didn't want to keep blocking the cross ventilation. Now, cool breezes waft throughout the downstairs unfettered.

I was startled to notice the first leaves changing color. The mornings are cool and crisp, making my 2 mile walk a joy.


Some of these pictures are a little blurry. Melissa is learning how to use the macro lense. These were taken on Monday, when I made her go on a mile walk with me through the neighborhood.

I found out later that afternoon that she had a fever. No wonder she told me she didn't feel well. Bad mommy moment of the week.

Fall is my favorite time of year. Since I've gained weight over the past 4 years or so, I've aquired quite a wardrobe of flannel shirts. I like to hide in them.

Most of the shirts were my dad's. I managed to rescue them from the purge after he died four years ago. Wearing them gives me comfort and makes me feel close to him.


I've been wrestling with my emotional desire to flee the neighborhood after the events of the past couple of weeks. It would be financially foolish and perhaps not even possible.


I find that if I focus on the beauty around me, I find a measure of peace.

And there is so much beauty just waiting to be noticed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it was good thing you got Melissa out there walking a mile. It help clear any virus from her that was trying to take hold...the increase blood flow and temp. Feel good about that.
undon