Sunday, August 3, 2008

Dogs and cats and pickles... oh my!

It's been a rough couple of days here.
Michael got home from his second full week of travel, but has been sick with a horrible cold.
And I did a really stupid thing.
I adopted a 3-year-old St. Bernard yesterday.
We named her Ivy.
She's sweet as can be and not at all scary around people.
She doesn't, however, like the kennel, and barked and howled all night long last night.
She is, unfortunately, scary around cats, so we have to figure out how to train her not to chase them.
She is housebroken, which is a huge help.
But she isn't at all food motivated, which makes training difficult.
Oh, and she doesn't know how to walk on a leash.

The other stupid thing I did?
I bought 30 pounds of pickling cucumbers.
That means I need to make about 4 batches of dill pickes today.
And to top it all off?
I have my period.
Oh, and I did all this to myself.
Nice, huh?

Stay tuned for the next episode of Anxiety Central...
Will Ivy learn not to chase cats?
Will the cats have nervous breakdowns?
Will Karen succumb to pickle brine fumes and collapse to the kitchen floor?
Will Michael finally decide enough is enough and leave for a quieter life as an agronomist in Iraq?
All this and more as our experiment in lunacy continues...

3 comments:

Heather's Moving Castle said...

That is funny...ummm scary! Good luck with all that. You are much braver than me. Holden asked for a cat today. I said no, not if we're going to travel overseas in a few years. Poor deprived kid. I can't wait to get a cat again---one day.

Imez said...

Well, that's the great thing about pickles, is that they have nothing to do with freshness. So you can at least but that one on the back burner, huh?

Great blog.

Karen said...

We're surviving - but just barely!
Will update the saga today...