Monday, August 25, 2008

Nagging Worries


Several incidents in my neighborhood over the last few weeks have made me question the wisdom of our move to the area. I'm sure I'm overreacting in the emotional rush of yesterday afternoon's events, but I've never lived somewhere that caused me to have worries and fears about my surroundings within conscious reach at all times.
The first event was tragic for a family that rents a house down the street from us. Their young adult son was gunned down at a suburban nightclub one night in June. While this didn't happen in the neighborhood, there were rumors that the murder was gang related and there was talk, that admittedly reached my ears as gossip, of retribution. Things have calmed down and the murderers were arrested, but worries of gang violence on my street have seeped in around the edges of my consciousness.
The second incident happened just two weeks ago when I saw a kid methodically breaking windows out of an empty house with his basketball. I called to Michael and he went out after the boy, who of course, took off running. I went out to the small group of adults congregating in front of the vandalized house only to discover the young boy's mother - he's 13 - had already dialed 911. She said she's called the police multiple times, hoping they will arrest her son, over whom she has no control. She doesn't know what to do and is worried that if he isn't stopped now by authorities and given some help that his criminal behavior will continue to escalate.

We went back home and also dialed 911. It was at least 30 minutes - probably more - after the boy's mother called and another 20 minutes before the police came to our door. And you know what? They came to our house first; not to the house that first dialed 911.

Apparently, they know the family and were in no hurry to answer their call.

I obviously don't know all the details of the situation, and the cop we talked to was likely right that the kid probably hadn't had the best of parenting. But he said the police don't believe arresting the kid is the right answer. It's the parents' responsibility.

I agreed with him, but told him that the mother is at the end of her rope and doesn't know what else to do. The boy already attends an alternative school and has a social worker. He promised to try to give her a list of resources for further help.

I find myself worried that this kid, who knows we called the police, will seek some kind of revenge. He's 13 now, breaking windows and shooting off bottle bombs in the street; what will he do when he's 15?

And finally, yesterday, when Michael, Stephen and I took Wally on his morning walk, we were attacked by a Rottweiler. Or rather, Wally was attacked. Seemingly out of nowhere, the Rottweiler dashed out from a backyard and went straight for our dog. I screamed "she's biting Wally" and was headed that way intending to hit it with my water bottle when Michael kicked the dog hard enough that it ran back into its yard.

We looked Wally over and he seemed fine, so after knocking on the owner's door and telling them their dog was loose, we went on home.

It wasn't until late in the afternoon that we noticed Wally was bleeding from a puncture wound high up on his side. Michael cleaned the wound and treated it with antibiotic ointment, then walked back over to let the people know our dog had been bitten.

Their reaction was one of nonchalance; I mean, they said they were sorry and they wouldn't put the dog out again, but we were concerned enough to call Animal Control. The officer looked at Wally's wound and took down all the pertinent information and said the Rottweiler would be quarantined for 10 days, as a precaution against rabies, and the owners would be warned and informed about properly securing their dog.

After a visit to the vet this morning, which included a shot of antibiotic and one of anti-inflammatory for pain and a 10-day prescription of antibiotics for Wally, I was relieved to know that he would be okay, but found myself quite shaken. The doctor shaved the area of the bite wound and now I can see how horrible it really is.

What if Michael hadn't been with me? I usually walk Wally alone on this 2 mile route. I think the Rottweiler would likely have killed him and could have turned on me. What if there had been a child involved?

Michael called Animal Control today to find out whether they had secured the dog, only to discover that the owners are, in the control officer's words "obviously hiding" it. I am afraid now to ever walk past that house, though we plan to continue checking to see when, or if, the dog returns.

I realize this kind of incident could have happened anywhere, but since we have moved to this neighborhood, the number of dogs running lose has been frightening. A different dog ran up and tried to bite Wally last fall on a walk with Michael. Eighteen months ago, two German Shepards killed my daughter's rabbit.

As I said earlier, I'm sure I am reacting out of emotion and irrationality right now.

But I hate this feeling of being a little worried and a little scared all the time.

5 comments:

zamozo said...

(((Karen))) -- I'm sorry these things have been disturbing your peace of mind and that Wally has suffered. I wonder if that dog has had any other complaints lodged against it? I wish I had good advice -- stay safe, is all I can think.

Heather's Moving Castle said...

Karen~

I'm sorry about all that!! I had no idea central Iowa could be so cruel. I have heard stories, but not this many in one spot.

I feel you have a right to feel safe. Are there many neighbors in your area that you do trust? I would try to form some informal alliance, if you can. That is what we do in our area. I went so far as to help put a meth dealer in prison. I used to worry he would send someone after me or my kids. I used to always be on alert. And I always told myself if my gut spoke to me to move, I would. he is still in prison, but I still worry about when he gets out or about the other meth dealers that went down with him who are out now.

I do not walk in areas where dogs are free to roam. And if I do have to walk there, I carry rocks in my hands or a BIG stick. Always be alert. If it comes close YELL in a confident tone for it go away and throw the rocks at it until it gets the hint. This always works for me. Let those dogs know you mean business. Have a stick ready to defend yourself. Have your kids do these same. The rocks work great. My boys and I love carrying rocks and picking them up along the road for protection. We always set them down when we get to where we're going. Some areas in Texas are known for having people who let their pit bulls roam and maim. My grandmother lives in an area I hate walking in b/c of the roaming dogs. And I have learned out of necessity. I've never been bit.

I hope Wally heals quickly! thinking happy thoughts and breathe.

Hugs, Heather

Mama Podkayne said...

You must come over and have tea. I have stories. I've been there. I know what works and what doesn't. With vandal kids. With empty houses. With loose dogs. With hostile neighbors. 10 years worth of experience to share.

Karen said...

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. I'm much better today, Wally is healing, and life is good.

Anonymous said...

Late in leaving a comment. Glad to know you haven't had any further problems like this...how scary. In my neighborhood I love that everyone we knows has their dog or dogs living in the house with them like a member of the family. That is how it should be. They are pack animals. I think most everyone around here is pretty responsible...we do have some issues but not a lot.
hichry