Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Slushy


It's a beautiful day here in Des Moines, but a little too warm for May.
Our high today is supposed to hit 84 degrees.
Summer temperatures call for a cool, refreshing summer drink, but all I have in the fridge is milk, and milkshakes just seem too heavy.
Once again, my freezer comes to the rescue, offering up a quart size bag of frozen strawberries.
I thawed the berries just enough to break them into smaller chunks, put them in the blender with a little water and about 1 cup sugar. It took two batches to blend it all up and the result was fabulous!
Thick, cold, strawberry yumminess.
Just be careful to drink it slowly or you might end up with a cold headache!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can we say JEALOUS?? :-) Those strawberries look like gold to me - they haven't come in the CSA or farmers markets yet, and I'm itching for a taste since I didn't freeze any last summer.

juliecache said...

We just used our last frozen strawberries. I cannot wait for patch to produce this year. Even though I remember being sick and tired of harvesting, I really appreciate that I did it now.