Monday, May 25, 2009

Quiche on the fly


Earlier this week I had a hankering for asparagus quiche, so I went hunting for a recipe.
Every single recipe I found, both in cookbooks and on-line, required ham or bacon.
Unfortunately, I'm down to 1 package of sausage and 2 packages of spare ribs from the 1/2 hog we purchased 2 years ago.
We don't eat a lot of meat.
I didn't want to go to the grocery store, mainly because I only buy meat from local producers. What to do?
Rely on the magic of substitutions!

With a little ingenuity, a willingness to experiment, and lots of cooking experience under my belt, I set off to create an asparagus quiche recipe.
Here's what I came up with.

1 lb. asparagus cut into 1 inch pieces, steamed until just tender
about 1/3 cup chopped fresh spring garlic, including the greens, plucked straight out of my flower bed
4 eggs
2 T pureed oven dried tomatoes (these were in the freezer from a batch I made from our tomatoes last summer)
1/2 t coarse ground black pepper
1/2 t salt
about 1 cup total, cream and whole milk mixed (what I had left in the fridge!)
about 2 cups freshly grated local gouda cheese
Sprinkle top with paprika

Preheat oven to 350.
Bake in your favorite pre-baked whole wheat pastry crust for about 40 minutes or until puffy and set.

It turned out pretty well, though I may tinker with the recipe some in the future. I also think it would have been better if I'd had smoked gouda.
Still, everyone liked it and the leftovers got eaten up right away.
That's usually a good sign!

No comments: