Saturday, May 9, 2009

Natural Beauty


These lovelies are blooming all over our yard.



When we first moved here nearly 3 years ago, there were no flowers...




no landscaping...



just a scrubby yard...




with lots of grass to mow.

There's just something about a non-landscaped yard I simply cannot tolerate.



I think it's my dad's influence, living on through me...



I always think of him when planting flowers, growing veggies, seeing our little apple trees bloom...



He had a special love for hostas. I bought this little beauty last summer at the farmer's market.




Of course, no yard would be complete without a healthy smattering of these...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My front yard leaves much to be desired, I suspect it is somewhat like yours when you first moved in. I'm too fickle on the plants I want though, and leery of my "black thumb" when it comes to flowers. Any thoughts on things that are easy to grow and still look inviting and cheery?

Karen said...

Perennials!
Go to your local garden center and peruse their sunny perennials - things like daisies, cone flowers, day lilies, bee balm, butterfly bush, etc. You can't go wrong with perennials, they will expand on their own so you can split them in a couple of years and have more plants for "free."