Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A freegan weekend



Everyone here was too sick to go the farmer's market Saturday, but by Sunday afternoon Michael and I were able to run a few errands. I've started shopping at the day-old-bread store, something I used to do all the time when the kids were little.
Somehow I fell out of the habit, and with my broken foot, I didn't bake nearly as much these past three months as usual. Consequently, we often ran out of bread and would grab a loaf from the grocery store.
Bread prices are crazy now and I just couldn't justify spending upwards of $3 a loaf for store-bought bread. I always buy a high fiber, whole grain bread, and those tend to be the most expensive.
I was delighted to discover the day-old store sells this bread, often 2 loaves for $1.50. I like to stock up with about $20-worth of bread and buns. They freeze beautifully and no one can tell they are day-old.
On Sunday, our cart was loaded when I noticed a sign behind the counter offering "feed bread" for $2.50 for a large bag. I could see several clear plastic bags full of loaves sitting in the back. When the man in front of us bought a bag, I could see that the bread inside looked just fine.
So, in addition to our cartload, we bought a bag of "feed bread," figuring that if anything was wrong with it we could always feed it to our chickens.
But the bread is fine - the only thing I noticed is that the loaves had reached or passed their "purchase by" dates by a day or two. Heck, lots of people have these loaves in their kitchens already, having bought them a day or two earlier.
Jackpot!
We got 9 loaves of whole grain bread for $2.50. I'll just make sure we pull these loaves out of the freezer first.
We did have to sign a "release" of sorts - we didn't read it before signing, but I imagine it detailed that the bread was not to be eaten by people and probably served as a legal waiver for the manufacturer.

Afterwards, we checked out a couple of dumpsters, but most were either too gross or empty. We did have good luck at a Hy-Vee Drugtown, finding 2 lb. bags of baby carrots for the taking. As with the bread, the carrots were either a day past their sell-by date or expired that very day. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with the veggies.
6 lbs. of carrots for free!
Not a bad day...

4 comments:

juliecache said...

Awesome for you! Would you mind sharing the name of the bread place?

Anonymous said...

You're right, day old bread - by the time it is bought "fresh" and actually all consumed, it is WAY over a day old. So does the store sell only bread? Or other veg/fruit/goods as well?
The name "feed bread" made me laugh :-)

Karen said...

I think it's Old Home Bakery Outlet - it's in a little shopping center on the corner of Merle Hay Rd. and Urbandale Ave.
It's just a bakery outlet store, though they have chips/soda/milk as well.

juliecache said...

Thanks. There was an Old Home Outlet on E 14th that I remember from my youth, same thing.