Monday, May 18, 2009

Good Eats


Over the past 11 years, my ego has learned to deal with a difficult situation.
You see, my youngest, who just turned 12, is what you might call "finicky."
Picky.
Fussy.
You might even call her downright persnickety when it comes to food.
Gradually, however, her tastes have broadened a smidgeon, her list of "likes," though still vastly out-numbered by "dislikes," has increased, and her tact, fortunately, has taken great strides forward.
We've come to an understanding; don't ask, don't tell.
If I don't ask her whether she likes what I've served, she won't have to tell me the truth.
So when she asked me what was for dinner one night a few weeks ago, I responded with the usual "I don't know."
"Will I like it?"
"Probably not."
She then asked if we could have pesto, one of her favorite foods. I was glad for the suggestion and that she would actually enjoy our dinner that night.
On the spur of the moment, I decided to ask her to plan the week's menu, reserving the right to add more vegetables if necessary. This idea came out of nowhere, as I never really meal-plan, but we both ended up delighted with the result.

Melissa's Menu:

Sunday: pesto, with fresh tomatoes and french bread
Monday: homemade pizza, with salad
Tuesday: garlic pasta, homemade french bread and salad
Wednesday: hamburgers and oven fries
Thursday: cheese biscuit with carrot sticks and tomato wedges
Friday: nachos (whole grain tortilla chips w/melted cheddar cheese, topped with black beans and chopped tomatoes for the kids. Adults, add chopped red onion, avocado, jalapenos, and red peppers)

I think I might do this more often, giving each of the kids a chance to "meal plan."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good idea on having her meal plan.... you're right, sometimes its the participation that makes a difference. Can she also help cook the meal? I remember that was *huge* for me at about that age.