Friday, June 12, 2009

Spring Harvest


Isn't it pretty?
Our broccoli has produced wonderfully this spring, with each of 8 plants forming a nice-size head. I harvested it all on Sunday, planning to make an all-local broccoli quiche.
You know what they say about "the best laid plans..."
Actually, I just realized I don't know the entirety of that quote, which I think is from "Of Mice and Men."
I never read "Of Mice and Men," nor have I watched the movie.
I suppose if one is going to quote from a major work of fiction, one should have actual first-hand knowledge of said work.
I'll just have to assume that anyone reading this is better versed than I in Steinbeck.
Is it Steinbeck?
Geez.
Now I have to look it up, get the book, watch the movie... is it any wonder I never get anything done around the house?
Anyhoo, despite my plans for quiche, the broccoli was so tempting we ate it all.
There's nothing like fresh-from-the-garden broccoli.
When I was a kid, I hated broccoli. My mom made the overcooked frozen version and I remember cringing at those slimy, limp spears and that awful almost rotten smell.
Yuck.
It wasn't until I was a teenager that I knew broccoli could be eaten raw. I'd never seen raw broccoli before, nor raw cauliflower, when we went to my cousin's house in New Jersey for dinner. She had a vegetable tray that included these exotic - to me - veggies.
I don't remember making the decison to try them, but I'm so glad I did.


The garden has been steadily producing radishes, more lettuce than we can eat, spring onions, and strawberries. Oh, the strawberries! We've been getting about a quart a day, minus the several dozen the squirrels eat each morning.
I'm still waiting for the cauliflower to produce, though one plant has a teeny-tiny head forming. The cabbage is big and leafy, but no sign of heads yet. I've never grown cabbage before, so am not sure what to expect.
I hope to make my own sauerkraut this year and have my eye on a pickling crock. Maybe the budget can buy it next month.

How does your garden grow?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Certainly not as well as yours! :) Wow, what lovely looking produce, I am very impressed. What part of the country do you like in if you don't mind my asking? I will be back to visit you again soon. :)

Karen said...

I live in Des Moines, Iowa. We had an unusually warm, early spring this year, so I got my garden in a good three weeks before the usual frost date! If I weren't concerned about global warming, I could really look forward to a continued change!!!

Anonymous said...

My garden is lagging by your yield! Strawberries are coming in well, but the eggplant and okra have a long way to go yet. Garlic scapes aplenty though, and I've been having seemingly endless amounts of lettuces/mesclun. Though I think that the lettuce days are winding down, many of them are starting to bolt in the off-on heat we've been having.
Your broccoli, wow. I love broco, raw or just gently steamed until bright green. That was what amazed me as a child, how it went from the fuzzy-green to bright stop-light green in a few key seconds.

juliecache said...

So jealous of your broccoli. Mine never forms heads. But I am not trying too hard.

Our peas, lettuce, and strawberries are all doing well. Garlic looks fantastic, onions (storage and spring) look wonderful. Tomatoes are coming along. Squash and cucumbers have gotten larger. My flowers are all doing well, except for the glads someone bartered with me. And i don't really mind that because I wasn't planning on getting something in exchange. Having them come up would have been a bonus.

I plan on planting a fall garden with pole beans as I did a few years ago, after the peas are done, the fence will be free.

Our baby red oaks look good, too. But i've been warned to fence them for the winter bunny damage.

Ella got a late start to her garden, so I'm not sure how she'll do.