Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Art Fair



We found Pinocchio at the Des Moines Art Fair Saturday evening!
Seriously, this sculpture (?) reminds of a limbless Pinocchio puppet.
We've never gone to the Art Fair before, mostly because it's always been beastly hot and I didn't want to be tempted to spend money. Well, this weekend cooled off beautifully, and I've been trying to get out and do more locally, so we piled in the car and headed off.


This man "arted right in front of us.




There was some beautiful artwork, but I'm not what you'd call a connoisseur. So while it was fun to look, temptations were truly minimal.



We tended to gravitate toward the photography, and I was sorely tempted by a wrap-around print on canvas of this photo Melissa's holding. You can't really see it in all its glory... dusty old pop bottles, beautiful yellows and greens, I knew just where I'd hang it... but the $275 price tag was too steep for me.

Michael was having fun taking pictures, until he was informed that it's not polite to photograph works of art without prior permission.
Oops.
I understand completely; no artist wants someone to steal her ideas.


But darn, a few more shots of this and I could have made my own here at home.




Neat mugs. I'm always tempted by neat mugs. Walk away. Just turn and walk away...




The most fun was painting sections of a door for a Habitat for Humanity house being built during the fair. We each chose a pre-drawn block and created our own artwork.


Sarah's...



Mine...

Michael's...


Melissa's...



Fence pickets were also available to paint.
I can't help but wonder, though, how long the new home-owner will resist painting over everything with a nice coat of white...
It's an idea I hope to remember for the future. It would be neat to have my grandchildren paint the bedroom doors in my house... someday... when I have grandchildren.
I'm glad we went, but I don't know that I'll be drawn to attending again next year...
Though maybe that photographer with the pop bottle photo will be back...

No comments: