Friday, June 26, 2009

Snakes Alive


Look who Sarah found in the brush pile on the other side of the driveway. According to her observations, this is Mama snake.



We've found lots of shed snake skins and spotted at least two baby snakes.


I'm totally creeped-out by snakes, even though I value their importance to the ecosystem.


I'm glad they're living in my yard, I just don't want to see one slither past me. Thankfully, though they are "gregarious," they mostly just want to hang out with others of their own kind.



It's nice to know this garter snake family is protecting my yard from rodents, leeches, insects, and other undesirables.


I'm also glad Sarah found them and took these close-ups.



I never would have been able to get this close...

2 comments:

juliecache said...

it must be the season for them to come out and make contact with people. my ella was extremely thrilled to touch a bull snake at my friend's farm yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Forget about getting close, I would have run in the other direction as fast as my legs could carry me!