Saturday, June 27, 2009

One Local Summer - Week 4


This may well have been the best rhubarb pie I have ever made. Not too tart, not too sweet, and drizzled with local cream. I think I could eat this every day...



I found 2 lbs. of asparagus hiding in the fridge. Oops. It was a couple weeks old already, but other than needing to trim off a little extra from the ends, it was in good-enough shape to eat. I was not going to feed 2 lbs. of local asparagus to the chickens! I was worried that age might have toughened it up too much for my regular recipe, so instead I marinated it in a homemade balsamic vinegar dressing for several hours before grilling. I'll definitely be making it this way again next year.


I needed to use up my homemade barbecue sauce, so we thawed one of our local chickens and slow-baked it, using the broiler to finish. The slow-cooking and the sauce kept the meat from drying out, yielding delectably tender and juicy chicken.


I missed all the farmer's markets last week, so decided to check Craigslist to see if anyone local was selling veggies. I found a great source for organic, fresh veggies just a few miles away from home. A Missouri farmer who lives just over the border from Iowa - maybe 2-ish hours away - brings boxes of veggies for sale to his sister's house near Des Moines weekly throughout the season. I only have to commit to a week at a time and each box is brimming with veggies- all for only $20!

This salad used our own lettuces and onions, and tomatoes, cucumbers and zucchini from "the box." I marinated all but the lettuce in a homemade oil and vinegar dressing, tossed them into the salad and added slivers of locally-made gouda cheese.


Finally, I made whole wheat bread accompany the meal. Lately I've mostly been baking the basic white bread from Artisan Bread in 5 minutes. But this meal called for something more substantial and whole grain. Served with a choice of homemade jams, it helped to satisfy the non-meat-eaters in the family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the components of the meal, especially the rhubarb pie. What recipe did you use? Great idea on marinating the asparagus to address the possible toughness, that's a trick I'm going to save in the back of the mind