Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Coupons Shmoopons



This poverty post is brought to you by the ubiquitous Entertainment Book.

I generally avoid purchasing entertainment books or other coupon-type deals. The last time I purchased an entertainment book was at least 10 years ago when it was being used as a fundraiser at my son's school. The book and all its coupons were put in the kitchen drawer, where they sat, untouched, until we moved several years later.
Since then, I've managed to avoid buying them, therefore saving at least $20 a year x 10.
Wow.
Unfortunately, this year I fell prey to was approached by a sweet young teen fundraising for the school chorus at fall conferences. Poor girl, her sales sheet was nearly empty, save for a purchase by a relative or two.
Who was I to deny her dreams of choral glory?
Besides, it was either the coupon book or frozen strudel.
I nearly bought the frozen strudel when I came to my senses and realized the coupon book, at $20, was less expensive and did not need cold storage.
Yesterday I spent a good half hour perusing the book, taking note of various deals and offers we might be able to use. DH has already gotten a $17.01 pizza for free, thanks to the book.
I still think I would have been better off without the coupon book, but I'm bound and determined to get my money's worth this time.
Next year, I'll better plan my route through the school during conferences to avoid the fundraising tables.
Hey, at least I didn't come home with one of the art club's painted pumpkins...

No comments: