Thursday, September 25, 2008

This old dog



I can't believe Wally is almost 9 years-old. It seems as if he has been part of our lives forever. I used to call him my "gingerbread dog with the frosting licked off," but in the past 3 years he has turned progressively more and more gray. So now, he's just my gingerbread dog.


The two of us go for a good 2 mile walk nearly every day. Whenever he sees me with socks in hand or putting on shoes, Wally thinks it's time for a walk. I often find myself sneaking out to the porch to put on my shoes or hiding my socks in my pocket if it isn't walk time. I feel so guilty disappointing him!


Wally's world is about to be shaken to its core. In mid-October we're driving to Illinois to pick out our new St. Bernard puppy. She'll be coming home to us in early November. We've tried twice before to add a second dog to our family.


The first time was almost 4 years ago when we adopted Maggie from the Rescue League. We were told that she was a 3 month-old St. Bernard. But when we took her to the vet a few days later, it turned out she was more likely a 5 month-old Corgi/Beagle mix. From then on, we called her our St. Berbacorgle.
Maggie was a sweetheart, but was definitely an alpha dog. We tried for months to train her not to chase and nip at the girls, but worst of all (ooh that sounds bad) she dominated Wally. It got so bad that he didn't want to come back into the house after pottying.
Amidst many tears, we had to return her, letting the rescue people know she needed to be an "only" dog and shouldn't be around small children.


Our second attempt was last summer, with Ivy, a 3 year-old St. Bernard, who was perfect in every way except her desire to eviscerate our cats.

She was returned after only 3 days, on the recommendation of the animal behaviorist who cautioned that she might never be trustworty around cats.
I'm sure this time will work, as we'll be getting a 2 month-old puppy who will already be well-socialized. We'll enroll immediately in a series of dog obedience classes and life will be good.

At least that's what I keep repeating to myself...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wally now is getting is frosting.
hoofess