Sunday, September 7, 2008

Map Skills

I have officially fallen off the unschooling bandwagon. Melissa and I started the Earth Science program through K12 and we're having a blast!

Last week Lester helped us plot lattitude and longitude points for the Ring of Fire using dried beans.
He held the map steady for us.
And was more than willing to help us locate those difficult sites!

Thursday we took a walk through the neighborhood to find and document different kinds of erosion and yesterday we visited a local cemetery to take photos of eroded gravestones and statues.
I must admit I signed Melissa up for the program with a great deal of trepidation, but she's enjoying it! We do the reading and projects together and are having lots of fun.

2 comments:

Heather's Moving Castle said...

That actually looks like fun. Let us know if she wants to stick with it and if it was worth the money. When my boys get older (and if they want it) I'd do something like that with them.

Anonymous said...

I read a book I think called The Ring of Fire more than 15 years ago. I couldn't find what I remember on Amazon. It was a great interest to me after parents lived in Indonesia. Found and interesting film and book below. I need to see if I can find this on Netflix.
colooff

Ring of Fire: An Indonesian Odyssey

In the Ring of Fire: A Pacific Basin Journey (Paperback)