Monday, September 29, 2008

The Staff of Life

Baking bread makes me happy. No matter what else I've done - or not done - on a particular day, if I've baked bread, I feel satisfied. Most of my recipes are 100% whole grain, so they don't rise as high as breads made with white flour. Above is a loaf of whole wheat currant bread.


I bought the currants from my local CSA this summer and dried them. When making this bread, I first rehydrated the currants by simmering them in water. I adjusted a raisin bread recipe from Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book, using currants instead of raisins.

The currants are quite tart, so it completely changed the nature of the bread. I do prefer it with raisins, but the currants made this bread 100% local. Above you see it with homemade crab apple jelly, but I preferred it toasted with chevre.

3 comments:

juliecache said...

Ooo, looks yummy.

for the candles, use modge podge to stick the plants to the wax. after it's dry, coat hte entire pillar with modge podge.

Karen said...

Thanks, Julia!
We bought three large pillar candles from the bargain bin at Kohl's today specifically for this project! Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love currants much more than raisins. I need to get some local ones.
exata