Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Vision Quest

So, last night after washing my face and I picked up my glasses to put them back on. As I raised them to my face, the left lens fell out onto the floor and I saw that my nearly new (only 6 months!) glasses frame had broken.
For me, this is a bit of a disaster as I can't see to do anything without my glasses. I've worn glasses since I was two years old. My vision is pretty crappy - I don't use my left eye at all, despite years of patch wearing - man, I hated that patch over my right eye. I couldn't even watch tv and enjoy it when the patch was on.
So, last night - around 11 - dearest husband went out to Walgreens to buy crazy glue. While he was gone, I couldn't do anything! Couldn't read, couldn't watch tv, nothing. So I put on a video to listen to (strange habit of mine, I'll have to write about that another time) and went to bed.
This morning dh let me know he'd had to glue the lens to the frame, as there was no way to secure the frame and then pop the lens in.
I went to the original place of purchase and the glasses are still under warranty, but the salesperson wasn't sure whether the same frames are still available. She'll get back to me, but it still likely will be 10-14 days.
I then traipsed to Lenscrafters, planning to secure a new pair in one hour, but yet again my hopes were dashed. My particular type of lens isn't kept in stock, so I left in about an hour, less about $352 and still wearing my crazy-glued pair. My new glasses should be ready in about 9 days.
The sales clerk at Lenscrafters was impressed with my husband's glue job.
As my youngest said, "Hey, Mom, it's better than duct tape."

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Oh no! Since they're only six months old I hope you can get them replaced/fixed for free!

My vision is poor, also, so I know what you mean about it being a bit of a disaster. Fortunately, my old script is pretty close to my current one so I can use the old ones for backup.

Good luck!

Karen said...

Oops, I published by accident!

Karen said...

There, I gave it a quick fix!

Anonymous said...

What a pain.
trizerp