Thursday, May 15, 2008

Monday, Monday

Monday was a really productive day for me. I found a whole wheat bagel recipe. It was easy and fast to make them - and lots of fun to watch them pop-up in the boiling water stage!


I know they look burned, but it was just the poppy seeds I used for topping. I also dipped them in sesame seeds and a little garlic salt.

Melissa arranged all the foods and took these and all the following food pictures.

I had bought a lot of rhubarb at the farmer's markets here in the last couple of weeks. I intended to freeze some, but am short of freezing containers. So, I used up some rhubarb by making a whole grain quick bread.


I also made these rhubarb custard pies.

The rhubarb custard pie was my mother-in-law's recipe. It was the first pie she ever made as a little girl, probably some time in the 1930s. The recipe is easy as, well, pie.


Hilde's Rhubarb Pie

1 cup rhubarb
1 cup cream
1 cup sugar
a little white flour for thickening.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes, or until done.

It is absolutely sinfully delicious! Years ago I tried making it with whole milk or even half and half instead of cream, but neither one approached the incredible decadence of the original.

Go ahead, make one.
You know you want to.

2 comments:

Heather's Moving Castle said...

Yes, I want to make one!! i love the recipes. We love bagels here too. Maybe I will have to try that too. Do you ever make pizza crusts? We did and I am not sure I liked the crust we made from scratch.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot about the recipe. You gave it to me, but I didn't make it. I need to buy rhubarb plants. Reading your blog is going to cost me a lot of money in plants. You remind me of plants I want to buy. They do pay you back though. That's a good thing.
shing