Saturday, May 10, 2008

Joys of Spring

Today we got up early to hit the first Downtown Des Moines Farmer's Market of the season. DH, Melissa and I arose at about 6, leaving enough time to take the dog out, make a pot of coffee and drink a cup, and snuggle on the couch a bit before leaving.

Farmer's markets usually create a fair amount of anxiety for me - what if there's something good and I miss it? What if I'm not there early enough to get the best selection? This can make a trip to the market with me a bit, well, unpleasant. But today was different, somehow. Either I'm conquering this particular anxiety (yeah, right) or it's because there's not much besides greens, rhubarb and asparagus this time of year.

Except for the rain, we had a fun time, the three of us. I'm thrilled with the produce I got as well: salad mix, spinach, asparagus, ramps, garlic and leeks. We found some fantastic locally produced whole grain bread (dried cherry walnut was incredible!) and an array of cheeses from a local dairy.

Oh, and this is what happens when you ask your dh to take picture of the produce you bought at the market and he decides to get all artsy:




This is actually the third farmer's market Melissa and I have been to so far this season. There is another market on Thursdays in West Des Moines, where we've stocked up on tomatoes (greenhouse grown, but at least locally), salsa, rhubarb and morel mushrooms.

I've decided to set a goal for myself: to attempt to shop only at farmer's markets or buy locally grown essentials (milk, flours, etc.) for the season. I don't know if I'll be able to accomplish this, but it will be fun to try.

I've already thought of a couple of exemptions, such as sugar (I'll use honey as much as possible for a substitute) and items such as baking powder, baking soda, vanilla and certain herbs and other seasonings.

Hmm, maybe I should only try this for a month??

And, no Zachary, if we want ice cream that means we have to make it ourselves from local cream. It does not mean that I send you or dad out to buy it instead of me!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pickett Fence in Woodward offers ice cream made from the milk the get from their cows

Mama Podkayne said...

I was just about to say the same thing! It is yummy too AND Dahl's on Ingersol carried it as recently as last week.

Oh, and Blue Sky Creamery is local too. Two guys from Ames and all.

Anonymous said...

I wish I got up early enough to go early to the farmers market. That would be the best time to go. I do make it to the Johnston Farm's Market regularly, but I want to go to the one downtown. I need to change my sleep schedule!!
glyna