Saturday, April 4, 2009

Horsin' Around


We went on a trail ride while in the Ouachita Mountains near Hot Springs, Arkansas, during spring break. We had beautiful weather, in the upper 60s, for the hour-long ride.



All of us have ridden horses a time or two before locally, but these horses were better trained. Whenever I've gone a trail ride here, my legs have been sore and uncomfortable shortly after the ride started. But this ride, I was comfortable the whole time. I think the stirrups were adjusted properly, way longer than they have been locally. I'll need to remember that when we ride again. It made a huge difference.



The ride took us up mountains, through the woods, and over streams. At one point, Zach's horse, who was right in front of mine, decided to "giddyap" and burst up a hill in a fast trot. My horse, thinking this was a good idea, suddenly sped up.

Whoopee, this is what trotting feels like!
Whee, this is fun.
My first thoughts.

Then, I realized, I was gradually shifting.
Tilting.
Slipping!

The saddle was sliding to the left, and I, of course, was going with it!
Somehow, I managed to hang on, riding almost parallel with the ground.
Fortunately, the horse slowed at the top of the hill, the guide noticed my predicament, and I was able to right the saddle.
Apparently, I have the dubious distinction of being the second closest to falling off a horse in this guide's experience.
I'm so proud.


The rest of the ride was gorgeous and uneventful.
A perfect morning.

Who needs caffeine?
My adrenaline boost lasted most of the day.

No comments: