Friday, April 3, 2009

Constitutional Rights for All

Today the Iowa Supreme Court ruled that the state's same-sex marriage ban violates the constitutional rights of gay and lesbian couples, clearing the way for gay/lesbian marriage.
Hallelujah!
Iowa is not known for its progressive politics and the outcome of the Supreme Court decision certainly wasn't a given.
This is a banner day for Iowa and the nation, as Iowa will become the third state to allow same-sex marriage.
Of course the state House minority leader, a Republican, has called for a constitutional amendment "protecting marriage as between and a man and a woman." I thought Republicans were supposed to advocate less government intervention into citizens' private lives. Can you spell "hypocrisy?"

My niece is in a loving relationship with another woman. They have been together a couple of years now, though I don't know if they are committed to a life-long relationship. Both women are college educated, employed, contributing members of society. Why should my niece be deprived of the benefits of legal marriage simply because some people believe she shouldn't love this specific person because of her sex?
I have been married for nearly 24 years. My marriage is in no way threatened by anyone else's marriage, whether gay or straight. Marriage and relationships are personal, individual and private. Whom I love is no one else's business, except perhaps the recipient.
I teach my children that being a U.S. citizen guarantees equal protection and rights under the law. This principle is what sets us apart from many other nations and ought to be cherished, protected, defended, and extended to those who in the past may have been discriminated against.
Religions may condemn or sanctify their members' actions. But our government is not a theocracy. Religious opinions have no business in the making of laws.
Today I am proud to be an Iowan.
I hope the rest of the nation soon follows suit.
It is well past time to extend civil rights to all Americans.