Monday, April 13, 2009

Busy Weekend


We spent a lot of time this weekend doing preparing for the gardening season.
I use the term "we" loosely, mind you.
Out of commission with my broken foot, I've been relegated to an advisory position only.
As much as it's driving me crazy to sit on my rump all day, I know everyone else is getting fed up with all my little suggestions of things that need to be done.
We should get our first crop of strawberry plants this year.


They did all the work of growing all by themselves and without any suggestions from me.



Michael, on the other hand, required a little coaxing to get out and till up our side yard garden. We borrowed the tiller from a friend, even though it's a little small for the job.
It was definitely hard work, requiring two separate workings as it was a bit too wet Friday.


Michael almost finished yesterday, when the drive belt gave out. He's picking a replacement up on his way home tonight, but finishing the job will have to wait several days now with today's rainy weather.


He and Sarah pulled up the sidewalk along this side of the house so we could enlarge our garden. It will also make it easier to fence, as we can go right up to the house. We don't want to install a permanent fence, though it will have to be secure-enough to keep both dogs out.



Michael also worked up by hand our super-large raised bed next to our driveway. Last year we had a truckload of soil delivered and he and the boys built up a bed. This is where our strawberries, herbs, and this year, cole crops will be.



I love rhubarb!

Michael planted cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli. We had some success last year with our broccoli, but our cauliflower fizzled. I bought started plants much earlier this year and decided to try growing cabbage. I hope to be able to make my own sauerkraut.

Sarah also mucked out the chicken coop - a very icky job!

Everyone is really pulling together, despite the occasional grumbling. I still have two weeks in the surgical shoe, then three weeks of reduced activity. My hope is to be back in the swing of things before the end of May.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yey for the garden coming together! I'm asking everyone I can find, so I hope I can ask you too - any tips for a first time strawberry gardener? I have my plants inside (too cold to set them out, though maybe next weekend).... but I have no idea on spacing, care/feeding, any pruning/clipping, anything really! How do you have them set up?

Karen said...

You know, I'm not sure how far apart we planted them last year - maybe 10" to a foot? We just followed whatever the planting recommendations were. We didn't fertize, but our soil was really good to begin with. Over the winter, we mulched the plants with straw for protection. I think the plants will send out runners as the season progresses. This fall, we'll need to pull up the old parts of the plants as the runners will then be next year's plants.
Does that make any sense?
Right now it's all theory to me - I've never done it!