Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sudsy

I've wanted to learn to make soap for a long time now and was tickled to find a soap-making class at Prairieland Herbs in Woodward, IA.
Michael took the class with me and was like a kid in a candy store. "Dr. Science" delighted in the basic chemistry involved in making soap with lye. I have to admit, it was fun to see him enjoying himself so much, since I was the one who wanted to take the class, but not alone!

The class was taught by Karla Moore of Heart of Iowa Soapworks. She's a great teacher and loved the fact that Michael understood the chemistry of saponification. (Can anyone say "teacher's pet?")

We brought home 4 pounds of soap, lightly scented with Rosemary and Peppermint essential oils. It will be ready to use in about 6 weeks. We definitely plan to make more soap here at home this fall.

2 comments:

zamozo said...

I wanna make soap! But their next two classes are full! Boo hoo! Will you teach me?

P.S. Your link for Prairie Land Herbs is broken. Too many http's I think.

Karen said...

Thanks, I'll fix it.
Of course I'll teach you!
Maybe sometime toward the end of next month?