Thursday, October 16, 2008

Come to the Poverty Party!


I've posted a few times already about our financial woes - all self-inflicted, of course. I've decided to join Bossy's Daily Poverty Party as a way to keep myself focused on debt reduction. I'm hoping to post a list of our debts and keep a running tally of our successes, but I'll need dh's okay before I can do that.
We're in much better shape than lots of people in that, as long as Michael doesn't lose his job, I think we can climb out of debt in about 2 years, with dedication.

So, this being my first poverty party post, here's what this week has looked like.
Yesterday Melissa and I went to the county health department for our flu shots - I gave a $20 donation, which is much less than the shots cost at any of the local pharmacies. Then, on to Michael's craft store, where I returned about $90 worth of yarn and sewing supplies. The yarn wasn't right for the project and I'm hoping to borrow my friend's rotary cutter and cutting board.
So far, so good.
Then I went to a small, privately owned yarn shop to buy more of the yarn that I need for the project I'm currently working on, about $70. This was a planned stop and a planned purchase.
Unfortunately, my favorite little local antique shop is on the same block. I swear, it was like a Siren song. Inside I found 12 small Halloween ornaments for our Halloween tree (they were only $1.75 each) and I bought more old canning jars to store the various types of dried beans I have sitting in bags in my kitchen. Total? About $90.

So, I can rationalize the purchase by saying the Michael's return cancelled out the antique store impulse purchase, but it would be just that: a rationalization.

On a happier note, the power bill arrived yesterday and we now have a $400 credit. This is partly due to the cool weather this summer and the warm weather (until now!) this fall, but also we're being quite careful to turn off lights, reduce phantom loads with power strips, etc.
We've also decided not to turn our heat on until Nov. 1. We've never made it that long, and I have to admit, it's been quite chilly in the house the past couple of days. Right now, at 9:13 a.m., it's 61 degrees. We kept our heat quite low last winter - never higher than 65 degrees - so we already have coping strategies. We all have shawls or wraps to use when not moving about and if I get desperate, a quick batch of muffins will provide a blast of heat. It's also a great time of year to have a crochet project on your lap!

Another failure? Last night we bought Subways for supper, despite the fact that I have enough food in the house to feed an army. Between phone calls about my mom (she's doing well), from my son at college, a visit from my other son and exercising, it got really late and I got really lazy. We also spent about $20 at Walgreens after picking dd up after play practice on Halloween candy, an extension cord and a strand of orange lights.

So, my goal for next week? Other than hair cuts that the girls need, I vow to buy only milk at the grocery store and no other impulse purchases.

2 comments:

Heather's Moving Castle said...

Congrats! I hope all goes well!!! Our poverty party started 7 years ago when I quit working full-time and Cliff had a string of lay offs. But the good news is that we learned how to trim our expenses and pay down debt. We cut up our credit cards and did w/o. We learned to pay our bills before we made purchases. We still have a lot of student loan debt which we are working on.

The hardest thing for me is staying home. lol. If I leave the house I am spending money! So when I leave I find ways to not spend as much. I have banned myself from toy stores with the kids and grocery shopping with Camden (4). He has no concept of budget yet. lol.

I do a lot of rationalizing when I spend as well. Like if I save money somewhere I end up spending money somewhere else. If I see something on sale I feel tempted to buy it, even if we don't need it. I'm getting better though...slow process.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I could start loaning you the kids during store hours. I won't charge you much. They can save me a lot of money. When they decide to fight a bunch it makes it impossible to go shopping. I will usually have one or the other complaining the whole time I shop that they want to go. I never get to go to the shops that would really cost me a bunch....too
boring for them.

There is always computer shopping I love that. The kids once again are helping me out there. They now play WOW and although it does cost a monthly fee, it could be more than paying for itself. Don't tell the kids this. I give them WOW months as gifts. If they knew I actually was benefiting from their computer hogging, they might not appreciate the gift as much.
Must say I love my credit cards...I pay them off every month so I am always earning free things. My miserliness doesn't seem to be a virus I can pass on.
We should plan on a big celebration for you in two years. I'll start saving plastic forks and spoons!!
murer