Thursday, October 16, 2008

Loving Legumes


I simply love beans.
I don't remember having legumes often as a child. I think we only had them in chili (kidney) and ham and beans (navy).
Over the years, I've discovered so many delicious legume recipes, probably in part because we have eaten a predominantly vegetarian diet for the last 25 years.
I used to think it was too much trouble to use dried beans, so for years I bought them canned from the grocery store.
But then I discovered how truly easy it is to cook with dried beans and how much better the food tastes when I prepare them from scratch.

I found my favorite bean recipe, Tuscan-Style Cannellini Beans with Rosemary and Garlic, just last winter in The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook, by Jack Bishop, a gift from my dh a few Christmas's ago. This recipe is so easy and so wonderful I sometimes make it once a week throughout the fall and winter.

The recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups (about 1 pound) of dried cannellini beans or any other small white beans (I've used navy and even pinto beans with good results). I usually don't have enough foresight to soak the beans overnight, so I just use the quick-soak method: place the rinsed beans and a lot of water (it should be several inches higher than the level of the beans) in a pot and bring to a boil. Cover and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for an hour. Rinse the beans and continue with your recipe.

So, you have soaked your 2 1/2 cups of beans. Now you need to place the beans in a large casserole dish with a lid. Add 1/4 cup olive oil, 3 T fresh rosemary leaves (they really must be fresh), and 3 large cloves of garlic, minced. Add enough cold water to cover the beans, maybe about 2 cups.

The mixture will look like this:


I love this casserole dish!

Place the beans in a preheated 375 degree oven and bake for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring a couple of times. You may need to add more water if the liquid is absorbed before the beans are tender.

When done, the beans are melt-in-your-mouth tender and the water has turned into a creamy, delicious broth. Season the beans with salt and pepper and they are ready to serve.

Sometimes I serve this dish over soft polenta, other times we eat it as a soup. Most often, however, I put a slice of garlic bread in the bottom of the bowl and serve the beans over the top, as below.


Add a fresh green salad and dinner is a breeze!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Finally I found a recipe to go with the picture. I will need to try these
blegos