Friday, October 10, 2008

Saucy


So, what have I been doing with the tomato supply that just won't quit? Well, we've been giving some to neighbors - a little good will can go a long way - and the rest I've been making into this sauce.


It's actually called "Oven Roasted Canned Tomatoes," and I've made it that way and it's fabulous. But, oh my, with fresh tomatoes? It's out-of-this-world fantastic!
The recipe is from one of my favorite cookbooks, http://www.amazon.com/Italian-Country-Table-Farmhouse-Kitchens/dp/0684813254/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223685171&sr=8-1, by Lynn Rossetto Kasper. Once you've chopped the ingredients, the sauce practically makes itself.

I guess at the amount of tomatoes to chop - I'm sure I use several pounds- when spread out, they'll pretty much fill a large cookie sheet. Oh, and I don't bother peeling them. We don't even notice them in the finished sauce. The original sauce calls for 28 ounces of canned tomatoes.


So, chop your tomatoes, then add 2/3 cup olive oil, 14 large fresh basil leaves, torn; 2 4-inch branches of fresh rosemary and 5 large cloves of garlic, chopped. Add salt and pepper to taste (I usually add about 2 tsp salt and 1/2-1 tsp. pepper).
Mix all the ingredients together on the cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 300 degree oven for about 2-2 1/2 hours. I give the ingredients a stir about every 45 minutes.

Transfer the sauce into a glass bowl to mellow (up to 6 hours). Serve with pasta.


Other than its unbelievable flavor, this sauce is really versatile. I sometimes serve it with feta or soft goat cheeses tossed into the hot pasta; other times I stir in about a cup of ricotta cheese before serving.
Add a salad and garlic bread and you have a quick and easy meal.

2 comments:

juliecache said...

Quit that -- I am getting hungry!

Anonymous said...

Oh, good another recipe I can try.
Sadly the tomato plants are all dead.
volocr