Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Indecision, My Middle Name


I am conflicted.

I think that could be my motto.
I'm trying to reduce my debt, but I must have a functioning fireplace.
But I want to move out of my neighborhood in 3 years, meaning we'll never recoup the cost of said fireplace.
I can't live without a working fireplace for 3 more years! That's the rest of Sarah's childhood and half of Melissa's remaining childhood. Fireplaces are very important to me.

But we'll never recoup the cost of the improvements we've made to this house.
I want to plant apricot trees in the sideyard, and they are half off right now. I also need spring bulbs and ground cover for the hill in front of our house.
But if we move in 3 years, does it really make sense to plant apricot trees?

Ah, yes, but with the economy the way it is, I may not be able to move in 3 years afterall, and then I'll sure wish I'd planted those apricot trees!
We're planning to sell our Prius to eliminate the car payment, canceling cable again and switching to only cell phones.

These decisions seem right to me.

But the fireplace is calling...

8 comments:

zamozo said...

Don't do it!!! Well, maybe you should, for your sanity. But, then again...

Karen said...

Gee, thanks!

Mama Podkayne said...

Working as in wood burning?

You could get a wood burning chimnea for your back yard instead.

My prediction, with the rising cost of heating....fireplace prices will spike and then drop low. But your home insurance will also go up.

Get the apricot. You never know what the future brings.

Karen said...

Yes, a woodburning insert. Our fireplace isn't usable without major repair (chimney issues - old house),but a wood insert will work. Will the insurance go up since the house already has a fireplace, but it isn't currently usable (something I don't think anyone knows but us)? I'll have to check into that.
I really do want to buy the apricots!!!

juliecache said...

If you plant, you can always move the plants with you. My SIL bought a house from someone with a condition that she could dig up perennials the next year to move to her new place.

where do you want to move to?

Karen said...

We would love to relocate to a small - 6 acre-ish - property. More room to plant and grow - and I'm already thinking about the future and grandkids - my dh is 54, so retirement isn't too far in the future.
I've decided I don't want to be a little old lady in the 'hood.

Karen said...

Okay, as soon as I posted that, I realized how bigoted it sounded. The people in my neighborhood are great. It's just the few who cause trouble and vandalize that bother me.
I have always wanted to live on an acreage, so it would be a fulfillment of a dream, of sorts.

Anonymous said...

Did you get the apricots?? They aren't easy to move, but maybe you could get picking rights!! Maintain ownership of the lot, but not the house??
imicula