Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Allergic to my house?


Yesterday was one of my "lost" days.
No, I don't drink, at least not to excess (well, most of the time).
For the past year or so, once every couple of weeks, I wake to the rhythmic pulsing of my sinus tissues. This is followed by acute episodes of sneezing, followed by sneezing, nose blowing, more sneezing and the occasional cough.
I think I am allergic to my house.
This all started about 6 months after we moved into our gorgeous, somewhat dilapidated, but worthy 1904 house.
I've been taking a generic form of Allegra, prescribed by my doctor, instead of popping a nightly dose of Claritin D and Benadryl. I thought, perhaps, I had this beaten. But yesterday was the last straw.
I was up early yesterday, as I had a full day of errands planned. I felt a little sneezy, but tried to put it out of my mind. I would give this a holistic approach, I decided, and proceeded to make muffins. I was in denial, plain and simple.
By 9 a.m., after spilling my coffee with yet another seismic sneeze, I realized that the plug had been pulled on the power of positive thinking.
Hoping that it wasn't yet too late to stop the inevitable, I took some Actifed.
By the time my daughter came downstairs at 10 a.m., I had used an entire box of Kleenex, my nose was sore, I could barely see through my watering eyes and I was keeping my head tilted back on the couch, my mouth open.
"Mom, what are you going to do?" she wailed.
The only thing I could do. I would resort to Benadryl.
"But doesn't that make you sleepy?"
"I'll just have to keep myself moving."
Ha.
Don't you admire such optimism in the midst of sure defeat? Sort of like Bush and Iraq; I was definitely fighting a battle in which no one would come out on top.
By 11 a.m., I was so desperate I placed a call to my doctor, in the hope he could suggest something to put me out of my misery.
By 11:30, I ordered a Neti pot from Amazon. I paid $3.99 for next day shipping, even though I get two day shipping for free. The very idea of pouring something into one side of my nose, let alone letting it run out the other side is somewhat horrific to me. All I can conjure up in comparison is the time I snorted pickle juice into my sinuses in my college dining hall. Did I mention I was sitting across from the most gorgeous man I had ever seen at the time? I can't believe he married me anyway...
By 11:45, the sneezing hadn't slowed, my doctor hadn't called me back and I was well into the second box of Kleenex. Through my half stupor, I barely remember spelling words for my daughter as she typed a story into the computer. I sort of remember begging her to bring me some water...
By 1 p.m., I couldn't stand it anymore and took yet another dose of Benadryl. As my kids came home one-by-one from school, all I could do was nod, open-mouthed, as they told about their day and croak out between sneezes: Fend for yourselves.
By 1:30 I called an allergist and made an appointment for Monday, making sure they were aware that I live in an old house, I have had bats in the attic (and still do) and my basement is more like a damp cellar than modern living space. "So be sure the doctor checks to see if I'm allergic to bat guano or old-house molds. Please make sure she knows I live in an old house."
Geez, you'd think I was the only person to ever request an allergy test for bat guano.
By 3:30, the sneezing had finally mostly stopped and I managed to stumble and drool my way up to bed. The doctor called and suggested I try Zirtec.
He was clueless.
Everything from about 4:30 to 7:30 is fuzzy; I know I slept through several movies and asked my son to bring me soup.
The rest of the evening was pretty much under control, as long as I continued to take Benadryl every four hours.
But then, perhaps the worst thing of all happened. It was midnight, and I couldn't sleep. There must be some threshold you reach with Benadryl after which it no longer knocks you out but keeps you awake and jittery. All. Night. Long.
I took Benadryl again this morning and have my fingers crossed it'll keep the sneezing at bay. I managed to do all my errands today, despite my Benadryl hangover. Yes, I operated heavy machinery while in a Benadryl hangover. Dangerous? Yes, but I had to buy felt and fabric glue, mangos and bananas. My daughter's book club was depending on me.
What if I am allergic to my house?

3 comments:

zamozo said...

I've been experiencing mysterious sinus infection-like symptoms and to combat them, I neti-pot once per day. I'm on my fourth day and feeling much better but this time I'm going to keep it up until I'm 100% back to normal and then some.

Wish I'd read this post before I saw you earlier today. (((Hugs)))

Heather's Moving Castle said...

My house is making me sneeze too! It all started when we got back from Texas to our 30 year old dusty house! I have been cleaning--vacuuming, sweeping, unpacking, and going thru old clothing. Very dusty indeed!

Heather's Moving Castle said...

Oh, i have been rinsing my nose out and it helps!