Saturday, April 26, 2008

Allergic to Life

Well, I don't have to move.
I spent Monday afternoon in the allergist's office, only to find out I have a severe case of SOUO. Sneezing of Unknown Origin.
I'm not allergic to anything. Not dust. Not molds. Not pollen. Not dust mites. Nor cats, nor dogs, nor any living thing.
The jury is still out on the bat guano. The allergist didn't test me for that, alluding that it would be highly unlikely, despite the bat colony living in my rafters.
So, apparently I suffer from periodic unexplained fits of sneezing, watering eyes, running nose with NO KNOWN CAUSE.
It does, however, have a medically auspicious sounding diagnostic name: Vasomotor rhinitis.
Sounds like a rhinoceros with coordination problems.
According to the experts: The exact cause of vasomotor rhinitis is unknown. It may be a hypersensitive response to a dry atmosphere, air pollutants, spicy foods, alcohol, strong emotions, or some medications. Vasomotor rhinitis is not caused by an infection or allergy.
Great.
There's no telling what sets me tripping down sneezing lane. It could be red wine, burritos or a row with my husband.
Kind of spooky, isn't it?

1 comment:

zamozo said...

Sounds like a good excuse to start logging what you eat and do to see if you can find a pattern??