Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Precision

Earlier this year I offered to pay my girls for some of our routine household chores.
I am unable to keep up with everything myself because of my EDS and fibromyalgia so I need more help than I care to admit.
Sarah brushes/furminates the dogs and cats weekly, gives medications as required, and cleans the bathrooms. Melissa vacuums and Swiffers the kitchen and bathroom floors, dusts, and makes a dessert each week.
It is such a relief to know that these jobs will get done. And while the girls used to help do these jobs, now I don't have to "ask." Of course, they both help out a lot more than this with animal care, dog watching/walking, laundry, dishes, etc.
I would have to say that next to having guaranteed clean floors and bathrooms, the best bargain by far was Melissa's dessert making. We have had cookies, brownies, cakes, and more.
It's been wonderful.
One little thing I've noticed, however, is that Melissa takes after her father in the kitchen.
My husband is a scientist and approaches cooking as if he's in the lab. While accuracy is important in following a recipe, scientific precision generally is not.
Plus, it makes him really slow.
Melissa isn't a fast cook, but I chalk that up to lack of experience more than anything else.
But when it comes to arranging cookies on a baking tray, her precision takes the cake.
I've never seen anyone place dough blobs on a cookie sheet with her exactitude.
It's really something to behold.
The only other person I've known whose cookies turned out so perfectly round and similarly sized was my Aunt Ruthie. And believe me, she was a legendary neatnick and an amazing cook.
While I have no illusions regarding my daughter's tidiness (or lack thereof), I do think she's on her way to being a fabulous cook.
Just keep those cookies coming, honey.

1 comment:

Practical Parsimony said...

My cookies will never be so perfect!