Friday, April 6, 2012

Opposites

http://carlanthonyonlinedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/bobby-sherman.jpg
I woke up with Bobby Sherman this morning.
Not literally, of course.
Gee, I wonder how old he is now?  At least 70, I would think.
No, I opened my eyes with the refrain of "Julie, Julie, Julie, do you love me?" running through my head.
I'm a little young to have been a true Bobby Sherman fan, though I remember watching the TV version of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers  - Here Come the Brides. I must have been only 5 or 6 at the time.
But I really stumbled upon Bobby through one of my sister's record albums.
Remember those?
My two oldest sisters are 12 and 11 years older than I, which means they left for college when I was in kindergarten and first grade, respectively.
In those days, I'm sure, they didn't have record players to take away to school, which means their records were left at home - where their adorable little sister could play them over and over and over.
They didn't own many records, but Bobby Sherman was there, along with Frankie Vali and the Four Seasons, a greatest hits album (knock-offs) including Wooly Bully, Do the Freddie, Silhouettes on the Shade, and greatest hits from The Turtles.
I had the eerie experience growing up of hearing a song on the radio - one I didn't remember hearing before - and knowing the words. Another gift from my older sisters.  I'd apparently heard these "oldies" often enough in my preschool years that the words and melodies were stashed somewhere in the nether regions of my brain.
I have so many tidbits of songs stuck in there it's like my life has it's own musical score. My daughters hate how I can sing parts of songs to match whatever we're doing.
"Don't forget to call me" can lead to a mom-style rendition of Debbie Harry.
Upon arriving home they might be greeted with my version of Tom Jones' "What's New Pussycat?" Procrastinating on that English paper? "Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping..."
I have a lot of fun.
My family finds it annoying.
I mentioned waking up with Bobby to my husband this morning.
He shared that he often wakes up with thoughts in his head, too.
Like what?
Oh, you know, research ideas.
Yeah.
So, while my darling husband awakens to scientific inquiry, I'll just have to content myself with Bobby.
I guess opposites really do attract.

2 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

Thanks for dropping my my bloga and commenting. I tried to follow your blog, but cannot seem to find the "follow" place!

Karen said...

Thank you!
Though not new to blogging, I'm technologically-challenged - I just figured out how to add the "follow me" - I hope you'll consider doing so!