Tuesday, April 3, 2012

AWOL

Our neighbor's Magnolia tree in full glory
I'd like to say I was on a planned blogging break, but I'm afraid that's not true.
I've had several preoccupations this past week; some good, some not.
Since I'm a dyed-in-the-wool pessimist, I'll start with the not-so-good first.
I take a medication for my EDS pain called piroxicam. Basically it's a prescription anti-inflammatory. It makes quite a bit of difference in my daily pain level - except for headaches. I didn't think I got headaches that often, but that's probably because I had devised a great little over-the-counter cocktail for getting rid of them - two aleve, followed an hour later by two ibuprofen, followed 30-60 minutes later with two Excedrin. That and a nap would often blunt the pain if not get rid of the headache outright.
So, what's the bad news?
I have to give up my aleve and Excedrin. Completely.
Apparently, they are too similar to the piroxicam and taking them would be akin to double-dosing.
The past two weeks I've been fighting headaches with an uncomfortable level of regularity. Bad headaches. Migraine-like headaches.
To help combat the headaches and for when the daily med doesn't offer enough relief, the doctor prescribed a muscle relaxant.
It does seem to help the headaches, but best of all when I take it I sleep. And if you are someone who typically doesn't sleep well, getting a solid 5 hours without interruption is like Nirvana and heaven all rolled in chocolate and topped with a cherry.
But while I waken without a headache the next day, I'm left with a slightly spacey s-l-o-w-n-e-s-s. I'm not really sleepy, just floaty. Too floaty to function properly for several hours if not most of the day. I'm spacey enough as it is without medicinal help, so I'm limiting these pills to twice a week.
Which leaves me with far too many headaches.
The doctor suggested Tylenol, which in the past did absolute nothing to relieve my headaches. It might help now, however, since I'm steadily taking the anti-inflammatory.
My skepticism kept me from trying the Tylenol until last night when pain and a fear of floating finally persuaded me to give it a try. I had to dig pretty far back in the medicine cupboard but I finally found a bottle of generic acetaminophen.
It expired in March of 2009.
Apparently it's true that medicines are still effective after their expiration dates since it did provide relief.
Whew.
I also saw the doctor about the weird lump sensation in my throat - fortunately it not a thyroid tumor nor even globus hystericus. Nope, she told me new research has shown that a lump-in-throat sensation can indicate acid reflux.
That and a lot of coughing.
I do that, too.
I have no other symptoms of reflux - no heartburn or indigestion. Just the lumpy throat and coughing.
She recommended an over-the-counter antacid and wonder of wonders it's working.
Who'd a thunk it?
The best thing about the past week has got to be our glorious weather. Spring sprung (sprang?) here in central Iowa in March this year - and I don't mean just daffodils and tulips. Every flowering bush and tree has been in full blossom for more than a week. Even our blueberry bushes are flowering!
While it's been beyond fabulous to have the windows open, go for walks without coats, and enjoy the breathtaking beauty, the pessimist in me worries. Our last frost date is in mid-May. Just one hard freeze between now and then could wipe out fruit crops throughout the state.
So now you know what I've been doing while I wasn't blogging: fighting headaches while slowly floating through the flowers.
Hmm.
Not too different from usual.

No comments: